Wednesday, December 29, 2010

UCA Party Wines

Tonight is the annual holiday party for Utah Chamber Artists, my favorite classical music organization (for which I am also the vocal coach). I love these people and the music they make. Anyway, I volunteered to be the sommelier for the evening, and for those who might be interested in what we are drinking tonight, here is a brief run-down of the wine list:

For the appetizers...

Adami Prosecco sparkling white wine - a delicious green-appley sparkler. My friend Emily Mortensen introduced me to this wine last year, and it has become my favorite inexpensive sparkling wine. It's a steal at $15 bucks a bottle and rated in the 90's by Wine Spectator.

And for dinner...

Dirigutti Malbec Mendoza, Argentina 2008, a hearty, luscious red - #74 Wine of the Year (rated 90 by Wine Spectator). Maybe not my favorite wine of all time, but pretty darn good with a big Italian meal like the one we are having tonight, catered by Citris Grill in Salt Lake City.

Peter Lehmann Clancy's Barossa, Australia 2007 - a complex fruit forward red, blend of Cabernet Sauvigon, Shiraz and Merlot - #77 Wine of the Year (rated 90 by Wine Spectator). This wine has more subtlety than the Dirigutti Malbec, but should also work well with lasagna and heavy winter Italian food.

Lagone Aia Vecchia, Tuscany, Italy 2007 - velvety, dark fruit flavor, blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc (rated 90 by Wine Spectator) - this is what I'll be drinking tonight!







And, for those who want to drink white wine with dinner or dessert...

King Estate Oregon Pinot Gris 2009 - a tangy, bright white with pear and almond flavors (rated 89 by Wine Spectator).

No comments:

Post a Comment